[CS-FSLUG] Canadian bank, intimidation?

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Mon Oct 11 19:15:27 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:45:43PM -0500, Aaron Patrick Lehmann wrote:
> Look at the following result from dictionary.com:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=homophobia
>
> All three definitions on this page, which come from reputable dictionaries (
> Miram-Webster Medical Dictionary, and others ), indicate that "homophobia"
> involves contempt, aversion, or dislike of gays and lesbians, and two of three
> indicate that it includes a behavioral component.  While fear is mentioned, it
> appears to be optional.  I'll grant you that the root phobe would seem to
> require fear, but it appears that in fact, the term is more inclusive then
> that.  Of course, one could read it to mean that homophobia is the fear of
> anything like the one doing fearing, but no one has had any difficulty
> recognizing that that's not what the homo indicates.  I suppose that they used
> the term homophobia because they wanted people to think it was a subcategory of
> xenophobia...  which is pretty similar.

I hate to get involved in this discussion because it is rather a dumb
one, but I cannot let this slide.  Lets look at the etymology of the
word "homophobia".  We have the roots: "hom" and "phobia".

Hom: (Latin, from Greek "homos")
   one and the same : similar : alike

Phobia: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a
particular object, class of objects, or situation

Now, obviously the word "homosexual" comes from the root "hom" or
"homo".  I think we all know how to define homosexual.

Homophobia then is the _fear_ of similar items.  The word actually is
quite dumb.  The following is an explanation of the term:

Etymology

   The  word  homophobia  is  a  neologism coined by psychologist George
   Weinberg in his book Society  and  the  Healthy Homosexual in 1972.
   It consists of the Greek words homo meaning "the  same" and phobia
   which means "fear". However the word combines the prefix homo- from
   "homosexual"  with  the  root  phobia.  A  precursor  was
   homoerotophobia,  coined  by Dr Wainwright Churchill in Homosexual
   Behavior Among Males in 1967.

(http://www.campusprogram.com/reference/en/wikipedia/h/ho/homophobia.html)

In other words, it is a made up word with no actual psychiatric backing.

Please do not make a vain attempt at using a modern dictionary to make a
point that is not valid.  "Homophobia" is not a real term but one made
up as a rally cry to make people feel like it isn't their fault others
do not agree with their choices.

Psalm 10:4-6
4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after
God: God is not in all his thoughts.  5 His ways are always grievous;
thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he
puffeth at them.  6 He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for
I shall never be in adversity.

Psalm 1
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor
standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he
meditate day and night.  3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the
rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf
also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.  4 The
ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgement, nor sinners in
the congregation of the righteous.  6 For the LORD knoweth the way of
the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Let us all be like the righteous man that meditates on the law of the
LORD both day and night.  I want to be planted by rivers of water, won't
you join me?

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7