[CS-FSLUG] My analysis of the email spam problem

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Oct 10 14:25:05 CDT 2004

Norbert Bollow wrote:

>>Your impression is sadly mistaken. It works exceedingly well to those
>>who subscribe, but there are some false positives. The moral high ground
>>is to create your own list, or use lists with a better standard.
>
> What's your recommendation?
>
> (I'd like to experiment with it a bit, if it's not too expensive.)

Aside from the usual collection of vendors, all the best blocklists I
know of are free. The difficulty is that few of these market their
provision. You end up having to do a bit of research, lurking on the
Usenet groups that discuss it (to wit: news.admin.net-abuse.email) and
so forth. I am in no position to to actually test any of them, however
my considered opinion is that Spamhaus is the best one.

Even the nasty, hard-hearted SPEWS types seem to revere the work of
Steve Linford, even when they disagree with him (for example, his
proposed .mail TLD). The SPEWS <URL: http://www.spews.org/> website
lists links to others under the heading of Advisory Systems. I have
heard good things about SORBS, for example. If you click on the "Others"
link you'll find over 200 operations doing some sort of listing.

--
Ed Hurst