[CS-FSLUG] My analysis of the email spam problem

Robert W. robertwo at access-4-free.com
Sat Oct 9 21:50:06 CDT 2004

On 10/09/2004 02:22:59 PM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> You may remember my call to pray for a week in preparation for
> addressing the problem of spam.  I don't know if anyone besides
> me prayed in this matter.  (If you did please drop me a quick
> private email to let me know.)
>
> I want to go forward, with the following goal:
>
>   It should be possible to freely use email, without wasting
>   any significant amount of time on dealing with the issue
>   of spam, at least for the following purposes:
>
>    (a) publishing an email address and inviting people to
>        contact you
>
>    (b) communicating with people from whom you have previously
>        received email
>
>    (c) participating in email discussion mailing lists (like
>        CS-FSLUG)
>
>    (d) subscribing to "newsletter" type mailing lists

Imagine you began receiving 200 catalogs a day through the postal mail
(aka snail mail). How would you deal with that? Now imagine this is at
your place of business. And an adiministrative assistant checks the
mail before putting it on your desk. How would you deal with the
problem differently?

Granted, e-mail is not exactly the same. But is it possible to draw
some strategies that may help with e-mail? I'm just trying to approach
the problem from a different angle. That usually ends up at the same
conclusion. But the journey is always interesting  :)

--
Robert W.
robertwo at access-4-free.com

It is done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the Beginning and the End. -- Revelations 21:6