[CS-FSLUG] My analysis of the email spam problem

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Oct 9 20:55:47 CDT 2004

On Saturday October 9 2004 8:27 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:

[snip]

> The consensus of the blocklisters is that no legitimate bulkmailer has
> anything to fear. Many of the activists have their own legitimate bulk
> mail operation.

Quite correct. For the most part, the only ones who squawk loudly are the
spammers, but then, they ARE the dishonest users on the Net.

> > The internet has (IMO fortunately) no "root server" with the power of
> > causing someone's traffic to "go nowhere".  (There are DNS root-servers
> > but they don't have this power.)
>
> Just an expression. There is a website that uses that term as if the
> operators of the "backbone" were running "root servers". As I
> understand, they are among other things the combined authoritative DNS
> servers for all the Internet. Yes, the Internet could probably keep
> working if all these went down, but nowhere near as fast.

Actually not. It would continue for awhile, but would soon fail. 'Been through
that happening not that long ago on our "leg" of the Net.

Fred

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."