[CS-FSLUG] Adopt a program?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 9 12:05:25 CDT 2004

Its a common myth that Java and Javascript are the same, Javascript however is
more on par with a scripting language, it was created by Netscape to allow
people to make their web pages more interesting. Javascript is a loosly typed
language (1 universal type of variable), its syntax like that of Java does
seem to have both components of procedural programming as well as object
oriented. Java on the other hand was created by Sun Microsystems, requires a
Java runtime environment and is a strictly typed programming language
(different types of variables such as Strings, Booleans, Integers etc...) and
has a much larger API then Javascript does. The two languages are
incompatible however you can get Javascript interpreters for Java and you can
also integrate them into your Java applications.

In order to try and use Gned you will require a Java Runtime Environment
(JRE), in order to develop Gned you will require a Java Developer Kit (JDK)
which includes the interpreter, the compiler, a debugger I think and the Jar
package creation tool which is similar to using tar or perhaps zip from the
command line. You can get these at
http://www.java.com -- Easy way just to get the JRE.
http://java.sun.com -- Java's main resource page, here you can get the JRE and
the JDK, I would personally reccomend version 1.5 which Sun also calls 5
since they've decided to transition over to that after Java 1.2 was called
Java 2 for a long time, its significantly faster then its predecessors and
with Java that is a much needed improvement since it is slower then C/C++,
Python, Perl, etc... to begin with.

On October 9, 2004 09:37 am, Christopher Rose wrote:
> Hmm... I will have to check and see if javascript was built into Grey Cat
> or not. I will let you know soon as I find out. I am still running all my
> internet and home applications via Red Hat 9. However, I do find Gned
> somewhat intriguing.
>
> I will get back to you soon.
>
> Pax,
>
> Christopher