[CS-FSLUG] Adopt a program?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 9 00:41:43 CDT 2004

Christopher Rose wrote:

>I don't know much about Java, but I might be interested in learning more. Please tell me more about Gned and how it works. I might trying scripting it into my Grey Cat Linux Machine, if it seems like something that I am capable of.
>
>Pax,
>
>Christopher

[snip]

Gned is my longest surviving Java program, its a simple text editor that
unfortunately due to the Java programming language itself requires more
system resources then your average similar program written in C or C++
although with the new Java 1.5 runtime environment I runs significantly
faster then with Java 1.4. One of my goals was to make the program
modular if what I did could qualify as that, I split up the compiled
java class files into a few different files for easier updating without
having to uninstall and reinstall the entire thing, at first I simply
did this so the themes could easily be updated at any time however as
time went on I decided to do make it possible to have an almost empty
themes jar file to reduce the size (albeit not by much since Java
binaries are very compact). The code requires at least Java 1.4 as well
as the swing toolkit which comes by default with Sun's implementation to
compile and run.

Some third party components in Gned are GPLed and LGPLed themes from
http://www.javootoo.com as well as the KDE crystal icons. I am hoping
that whoever decides to continue development in Gned continues to
release it under an open source license so I can continue to contribute
code and improvements to it every once in a while, if I were to hand it
over to someone in this list then I would be a little less protective of
the license and copyrights in the hopes that everyone here like the
majority of Linux users and people in this list see the value of using
an open source license. What I said on my web page about keeping the
copyrights for the code was simply to protect from someone trying to
change the license to something proprietary after I were to hand it over
to them, it shouldn't affect your ability to modify, rewrite or
redistribute the software and you can still make money off GPLed
software if you so desire, also if you would like the license changed to
something other then the GPL that still qualifies as an open source
license let me know and assuming the license would still allow for the
modification and redistribution of the software by myself and other OSS
developers I'd be more then willing to accept.

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/