[CS-FSLUG] tcpdump traffic

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Oct 6 20:27:05 CDT 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:42:20 +0800
Leon Brooks <xtiansrc at leon.brooks.fdns.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 02:58, Ed Hurst wrote:
> > 13:02:41.896639 IP (tos 0x0, ttl  64, id 9158, offset 0, flags
> > [none], length: 60) localhost.60737 > localhost.domain: [udp sum ok]
> > 64464+ A? thud.local.bsd. (32)
>
> It's asking your DNS for an A-record corresponding to thud.local.bsd -
>
> do you have a DNS server running on that host?

That "host" is my own machine. Yes, I run djbdns, because my phone
connection to my ISP is really weak, their DNS servers get dodgy from
time to time. I run only the dnscache part of the package. I suppose an
A record will not be forthcoming, since:

   thud.local.bsd = localhost = 127.0.0.1

as properly recorded in my /etc/hosts file. If I make the query directly
via nslookup, it comes back correctly.

This whole question is drawn from noticing that Mozilla (and
derivatives), after starting the dnscache, will not open up for at least
90 seconds, whether online or off. Of course, I really don't care about
Mozilla anymore, but I was curious about reading the tcpdump output. It
makes me think Mozilla is doing something really stupid here. It does
this sort of query repeatedly until each one times out. No other Net app
does this on my machine.

--
Ed Hurst