[CS-FSLUG] Install/uninstall procedures

Robert W. robertwo at access-4-free.com
Mon Oct 4 22:38:34 CDT 2004

On 10/04/2004 02:29:26 PM, N. Thompson wrote:
> With some programs you can also run "make uninstall" and that will
> remove the
> installed files, "make clean" will also removed the files that were
> created
> during the compile process.
>
> On October 4, 2004 11:06 am, Jukka Y wrote:
> > I have usually installed self-compiled programs without knowing how
> > uninstall them later. Today I found a tip how to install without
> "losing"
> > them into a filesystem:
> >
> > ->make sure you have program called "checkinstall" present -> untar
> > sourcefiles -> run "configure" and "make", but instead "make
> install" run
> > "checkinstall".

GNU's "stow" is another way to manage self-compiled applications. It
places each application in its own directory. And creates symbolic
links. For example:
# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/runMe
# make
# make install
# stow runMe

All files for "runMe" reside in /usr/local/stow/runMe. Stow adds
symbolic links to /usr/local/* (/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share/man/
man1, etc...).

--
Robert W.
robertwo at access-4-free.com

It is done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the Beginning and the End. -- Revelations 21:6