[CS-FSLUG] Windows XP restrictions & exploits

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Oct 1 22:13:25 CDT 2004

Josiah Ritchie wrote:

[snip]

>:-) Glad to provide some insight. I think there is a long-standing reward
>for anyone who can crash a computer with this software installed. No one
>has done it yet. I bet you could find out the local sales reps contact info
>and provide it to your administrators. Just remember, until you build a
>reputation with them they will probably dismiss you. I'm like that too
>until they email me with lots of details. It's a survival
>mechanism. :-)
>
>It has the capability to have a rotating password to "thaw" it so you could
>even help out with the install and not have access to the product so if you
>offered to donate your time they wouldn't even be giving you abnormal
>access after the initial install. That might be a bargaining stick.

Its understandable that sysadmins have busy schedules, good
communication with the users is still vital though. If I get a chance to
meet the school's sysadmin I'll try to bring up DeepFreeze, I think
having less restrictions and still have working systems is important.

>>>offer>>to help the school out. Definately try to be the benevolent
>>>assisters>>rather than the discgruntled fiends in the eye of the
>>>administration.>>

>>>Sounds like an excellent way to tell the school about Linux. :-) Keep
>>>that up, it might even give you an opportunity to share your faith with
>>>them.
>>>

>>Most of them are already Catholic by tradition, I say by tradition
>>because I don't think serious Christians of any denomination would say
>>the f word as well as many other swear words as often as they do,
>>everywhere I've been in Canada youths on public school seem to have
>>swearing as their first language and english as their second language
>>but hopefully when they get older the swearing will decline and
>>hopefully stop.
>>

>I think that's environmentall and part of feeling "grown up". There are
>certainly a lot of people who never grow out of it, but you can't expect
>the unsaved to act saved can you. I'll say a prayer towards you having both
>an opportunity to share your faith through all this and a bit of divine
>resistance to getting those words stuck in your head. I know it can be hard
>when you hear them frequently not to think them.
>
>JSR/

Thanks Josiah :-)
You're right, it is hard to hear those words all the time and still keep
from saying them, especially when I think no one is around. Another
serious issue in the school is the smokers, one girl in the school sits
a few desks away in Christian Ethics class and she smells so badly of
cigarette smoke and perfume (to cover up the first smell) that for that
last hour of school I have to try not to lose my lunch. I've been around
smokers before and I've been in houses where the air was mostly smoke
and tar but I've never smelled anything quite as bad as that girl :-( .