[CS-FSLUG] KPPP hangup

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Fri Oct 1 13:05:56 CDT 2004

Thanks, Eduardo,

>>I wonder, was that a one-time thing, or will I just need to re-type
>>

>the
>

>>password each time? I guess experience will tell.
>>
>>At least I can proceed with my transition phases while I keep alert to
>>better ways to do this.
>>

>I concur with your appreciation. I really wish I could be there with
>your computer so I could see what's going on and give more exact
>advice. At least, I think the feelings on everyone in this list is that
>we're ready to help you in the best possible way and that's my feeling
>too :).

That would be nice! You know, just a month ago or so, I was praying to
discover another more experienced Linux user nearby to learn from. Then
Ron  Thompson told me about this group.

I've also thought (here's my visionary side) that some day I'd like to
see small Linux  computer shops/cafes popping up all over, where folks
could buy used computers already installed with Linux programs, or get
help in switching and getting up to speed.... :)
If the Lord tarries, that might happen yet, right?

>>I notice you wrote several articles on Slackware, which raises another
>>question I've been thinking about. Maybe it's too soon for me to try
>>

>out
>

>>other distros, but if I were to do that, which ones would be best?
>>

> <>(any one in the group may make suggestions) .
>

>Ruth, I wrote about Slackware because there was a myth: that Slackware
>is only for the elite, that has no good tools for system
>administration, and that is better suited for servers and not for
>desktops. Additionally, I found a distinct lack of documentation. I
>thought that perhaps by writing down my experiences in dealing with the
>issues of setting Slackware as a desktop I could benefit others.

I'm sure it will. I don't have a lot of advice to give yet, but I did
write an article last week for my inspirational RoseBouquet ezine, and
put it up on my business site in the New-to-Net
area, so that if anyone wants to learn from my experiences, they may.
Basically I pretended I had got a new Candy Store and I gave them a tour
of my first impressions in Mandrake.
http://BouquetofEnterprises.biz/N/CandyStoreTour.shtml I plan to add to
this series as I learn more.

This learning from each other is one of the most attractive features of
this alternative.

>About your question, Ruth, I think it is a fair one. The distribution
>you're using (Mandrake) was my second Linux distribution, and I think
>overall it is the *best* one for a non-techie person. It obviously has
>issues; there are some things that perhaps this or that distribution
>does better, but on the balance Mandrake is the best one. Mandrake is a
>distribution that gives you great hand-holding while as a beginner, and
>*usually* does not try to stop you when you would like to dive a little
>bit deeper into Linux technical arcana.

Hey, that's reassuring. Thanks so much! Nice to know I started off on
the right foot. Reading of folks raving about this flavour/distro or the
other made me wonder. But I think I'll stick with Mandrake until I'm
thoroughly familiar with it. At the moment I'm spending afternoons
there, but doing web design and email work in Windows so I don't try to
learn everything at once.

>My other two recommendations would be, in any order: Fedora Core, and
>SUSE. These are very good distributions, each in its own way. I used
>Fedora Cora way back when it was Red Hat Linux; I started my Linux walk
>with it. SUSE is also an excellent distro, and Fred and the other
>SUSErs here could tell you better about its advantages.
>
>I could also recommend Slackware, but if you don't have a techie or
>experienced linux user near you, I would be very reluctant to do so.
>Read what I said in my Stealth Desktop Series, part I: Installation
>should be done by a techie, and not by the end-user. However, should
>you decide to use it, it could be a very rewarding and educational
>experience. Only remember, you will have far greater control over your
>machine with it, but at the price of lack of polish offered by other
>distros.

Okay. I'll keep these suggestions in mind for the future. Again, thanks
so much!

God bless you in all your endeavours,