[CS-FSLUG] Merging Files

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 20:23:51 CST 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:24:35 -0500, Brian Derr <bderr at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 07:15:13PM -0500, Don Parris wrote:
> > I've got a friend that wants to take Line # 1 from File A and Line #1
> > from File B, and merge them into 2 lines in File C.  What's the best
> > tool to do this?
>
> Did you ever figure this out?  If not here is my stab at it.  Using your
> basic UNIX tools we have 'head' at our disposal.  If all you want is the
> first line from each file into a third file it will look something like
> this.
>
>    head -n1 file1 > file3; head -n1 file2 >> file3
>
> This will create file3 with the first line of file1 and then append the
> first line of file2 to the end of file3.
>
> Easy as pie!  :-)
>
> Brian

Actually, I passed the info on to the guy, but I don't know if he
accomplished anything.  I'll have to forward this on to him.  I've
actually never heard of "head".  Of course, I have had much reason to
use the text/file manipulation tools in any system.  About the only
time I need anything like that, the text editor I'm using will do the
trick nicely - especially jEdit.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist