[CS-FSLUG] Seeing/connecting to another HD installed

Ruth Marlene Friesen Bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Wed Nov 24 17:22:20 CST 2004

Thank you, to both Jukka & Don,

Jukka advised;
> I do not know if you are going to mount it only temporarily, but
> according to one of those articles, it should be possible to use any
> existing directory (but because it's "real content" of is not
> accessible during the mount, directories which contains
configuration
> files, program binaries etc are not a good choice). It might be best
> to create completely new directory (execute "mkdir /newdisk" at the
> command-prompt with superuser privileges) and mount new hard
disk into
> it. After you have created it, DrakConf should be able to "see" it.
>
> Blessings,
> Jukka

It would be good to leave things along for a while (I'm getting a bit
weary of changes) but I'll settle for temporary access to get those
files transferred.

With your encouragement, I tried that this morning, pouring over that
article again too, and I felt I got somewhere when I gave this
command; # fdisk -l /dev/hdg

and saw all this;
Disk /dev/hdg: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdg1   *         1       274   2200873+  83  Linux
/dev/hdg2           275      2540  18201645    5  Extended
/dev/hdg5           275       367    746991   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdg6           368       468    811251   83  Linux
/dev/hdg7           469       733   2128581   83  Linux
/dev/hdg8           734      2023  10361893+  83  Linux
/dev/hdg9          2024      2087    514048+  83  Linux
/dev/hdg10         2088      2480   3156741    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdg11         2481      2540    481918+  83  Linux

The + signs indicate the partitions with my data, right?
So I used the mkdir /mnt/hdg1 (thru 11) to make new directories for
all those partitions. Then, per the article, used
mount /dev/hdg1 /mnt/hdg1 (thru 11) as the commands to mount
them. About at hdg9 I got a friendly notice that I wasn't doing that
quite right. Sorry, I forgot to copy paste that into my text file.

I went to check in DrakControl and it appeared most of the partitions
were now mounted, but when I went into Konqueror to see if I could
actually get a hold of the files, those new directories were empty.

Thinking it might be a matter of re-booting first, I exited and went in
again, but nope... can't see the files yet.

I'm beginning to wonder now about just adding the boot section tot
my main boot screen and then fixing things from within that drive.

Or - if I tried to re-install Mandrake, would it leave my files intact and
sort of fix the system files around them?

Don suggested;

> You should be able to write in a mount point as well, such as /windows
> or put it under /mnt/windows

I thought I had tried that too, but now I can't recall what happened,
so maybe I didn't.

> (I'm assuming you want to access a Windows partition that is labeled
> "G").

Yes. Plus a few in Mandrake too.

> You might even place it under /mnt/windows, and then create a link to
> it called /windows.

It comes to me now that I could maybe have given that mount
command as; mount /dev/hdg10 /mnt/hdc1/windows

By the way, I saw today that My Computer in windows shows G:\ as
a removable drive until I click on it. Then it  disappears.

> Hope this isn't too confusing. :)

Well, <grin> it looks like I'm getting warm. I just need to refine this
mount command stuff until I get it right.

It's getting to be that time of night when my eyes swell shut. I'll have
to try again tomorrow morning. Thank you for your patience with me.