[CS-FSLUG] Upgrading Mandrake

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 17:56:05 CST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:33:58 -0500, Bradly McConnell
<bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:14:58 -0600, N. Thompson <n.thomp at sasktel.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm asking since I'd rather find a shortcut around having to install every
> > new release from scratch, surely if Windows can do it properly then most
> > Linux distributions should also be able to.
>
> Not all that sucessful.  Even the official curriculum distributed by
> Microsoft recommends performing a full install over a upgrade.

You beat me to it.  I have upgraded Windows, and upgrades in general
just don't make sense.  The ghosts of "OS Past" hang around to haunt.
Folks on the SUSE list have suggested doing one upgrade, then a full
install the next go 'round.  Not my choice, as I'd rather do clean
installs - just gives me a chance to unclutter my clutter. :)

> > I've been thinking about getting a copy of
> > the powerpack edition of Mandrake 10.1 or whichever version is current when I
> > finally get around to it, as many of you remember I was also on the verge of
> > getting Mandrake Linux when I first tried 9.1.
> >

> Why pay all that money to "try" it out?  The download version should
> be available by now for the latest (haven't checked myself).  If you
> don't have the bandwidth, go with some of the cheaper CD distributors.
>  With the trial and error nature of your posts, I would recommend
> sticking with the freely available distros, or it will get costly.  I
> would recommend picking a distro and tailoring it to what you want.
> It may involve a bit of pain, but that's the beauty of open source -
> if you don't like it - you can change it.
>
> Brad

That's the beauty of it!  See my response to Fred's post about Linux
community not being happy with Torvalds as the gatekeeper of the
kernel.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist