[CS-FSLUG] Seeing/connecting to another HD installed

Ruth Marlene Friesen Bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Fri Nov 19 17:59:34 CST 2004

> > Well, this Monday I got the High Speed installed. But Win98 couldn't
> > seem to work with it right  away. Switched to Mandrake and I was
> > online already 3 minutes before the networking wizard advised me to
> > discount my other connection if I wanted to continue... <blush> I
> > was online from the moment I arrived!
> >
> > Yesterday I took both computers into the city, and asked the guys at
> > Quest Computers to move the 40GB hard drive they had installed in my
> > older computer last year, into this newer computer as a secondary or
> > slave drive. Then I'd have 50GB all told here. But they are NOT
> > Linux fellas.
> >
> > My Win98 is not even aware of that other drive. When I go into
> > Mandrake I can SEE the G drive and it's partitions (including a
> > Windows storage area where I had quickly moved a lot of docs I want
> > to access from the old drive) from within the Mandrake control
> > center, but I can't access it in any other way.
> >
> > My question is, how do I connect the two drives? Is it something to
> > do with the mount points? Or, is there a way of putting the two
> > drives on my boot - lilo (I think that's what it's called)?
> >
> It definitely has to do with mount points.  Unfortunately, I've never
> run more than one drive with Linux.  I really should try it, if only
> for the learning experience.  I do know there are articles, maybe even
> how-tos describing the process.  Look in you /usr/share/docs folder to
> see if there's a how-to for adding a second hard disk.  I'll look when
> I get home tonight.
>
> I'm sure the others will be able to offer better help than I can at
> the moment.  But perhaps this will get you started in the right
> direction.
>
> Grace & Peace,
> Don

Thanks, Don. I did try that this morning (before taking Dad to
medical appointments), but I couldn't find the answer to this.

Mind you, I did discover instructions for installing Wine which I had
downloaded the other day.

Tonight I wanted to go into my older computer to check certain
emails, and lo, it was hung up with an error message,
"Secondary master hard disk fail"  F1 to continue.

Well that just gave me rows upon rows of 101010101 and then
"press any key to reboot" - when I did, I was back to the first
message.

I did try Delete a few times and made some changes in Bios or
CMOS, hoping to disable the secondary slave drive, but I guess I
made it worse, as it only does the loop now, up to the Windows QDI
medallion and then back to  the beginning again. I can't even get into
Bios now.

I've emailed the guys at Quest, but am going to be away all day
tomorrow at a Day of Prayer. Guess I'll have to be patient a few
days.