[CS-FSLUG] No system sounds after update

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 00:29:46 CST 2004

Another thought...

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:57:14 -0500, Alvin Smith <email at alvinsmith.com> wrote:
> $ artsd
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: No
> such device
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
>
> However...
> # ls -l /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> crwxrwxrwx  1 root audio 116, 16 Oct 11 13:43 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
>
> Card config:
> Brooktree Bt878 at 0xe0800000, irq 5
> ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1370 at 0xb800, irq 9
>
> Audio devices:
> 0: Bt87x Digital
> 1: ES1370 DAC2/ADC (DUPLEX)

Your /dev/dsp was symlinked to /dev/dsp0, but the later output seems
to suggest that your sound card is device one.  Perhaps you should try
symlinking /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1 instead.

I seem to recall seeing something like this with a webcam that had an
attached microphone using /dev/dsp0.  Needed to spit the sound out
/dev/dsp1 instead from what I recall.

David