[CS-FSLUG] Successful MythTV Install

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 19 00:13:02 CST 2004

Fred A. Miller wrote:

>On Thursday November 18 2004 6:58 pm, Daniel Miller wrote:
>

>>Hey all,
>>
>>I'm looking at building a PVR out of some spare hardware that I have
>>around the house.  Has anyone in the group had any success with a
>>project like this before?  Here are my hardware specs:
>>
>>Mobo:  Gigabyte 845PE
>>CPU:   P4 2.6
>>Mem:  1024
>>Video/TV tuner:  ATI Radeon TV Wonder VE
>>Distro:  Currently Undecided.
>>
>>Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>SUSE 9.2.....latest drivers etc. are included.
>
>Fred

Another distro shootout, nice :-D

SUSE
For: Lots of software, YaST, half decent hardware support, more support
for laptop features and maybe standby in desktop machines now (something
I've never gotten in any other distro no matter how hard I try).
Against: More software then you'll need, expensive, in most cases itsno
better then the good free distributions IMO, SLOW!

Slackare
For: Light, fast, complicated at first but elegant and worth learning
unlike the many sloppy distributions with 3 or more tools for the same task.
Against: Slackware: KDE broken, only way to get sound is to install the
updates which are also broken but in a different way.

Fedora
For: I'll leave this up to the fedora fans, I don't like RH and Fedora
much although its still better then running Windows.
Against: because I said not to use it ;-)

Debian
For: Why people would use it is a complete mistery to me
Against: mose of the deb's are so old you can get them engraved in stone
slabs, sloppy 50+ tools for one simple task, too many packages installed
by default.

Ark
For: I'm a volunteer for ark, exists, anything is better then Debian,
simple install and maintenance
Against: During the installation make sure to read what each button says
before clicking even if all but one are grayed out, not ready for
serious use, very easy to render un-bootable at this stage.

Mandrake
For: Decent distribution, quality product
Against: Increasingly commercial, run by quacks, free download edition
comes with more software then the (imo) over-priced discovery edition.

Anyway its getting late, rather then run you through more distributions
I'm going to get to bed so I don't sleep through math class tomorrow
(I've still got an average >82% in 4 our of my 5 courses this semester
:-) ), if you really want to know what distribution to use look at what
you've been running on your desktop since you started using Linux if it
were me, I'd choose what I'm familiar with and chose as a desktop
distribution. BTW the more I contribut to Ark the more I like the
distribution, I don't trust it enough to move my work back over from
Windows though, it still breaks from the simplest things almost as if it
has a timer in it that makes sure its never overdue for a breakage, what
can you expect from Alpha software :-) .

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/