[CS-FSLUG] Ballmer Blames Software Piracy on Spendy Hardware

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Nov 16 15:37:52 CST 2004

On Monday November 15 2004 6:36 pm, Don Parris wrote:

[snip]

> I think MS should lower its price on Windows to @ $5.00 (to cover the
> cost of the CD & shrinkwrap).  That's about all it's really worth in
> my book.  I mean, honestly, you can't do squat with it.  Think of
> low-income folks who get a computer with Windows (either used or
> donated).  They can't afford to buy Quicken to manage their money
> with.  They can't afford the tools to learn programming if they so
> desire.

Further, what if the kids in that family suddenly get the bright idea to do
some homework for a change, and can't afford MickySoft Office. OpenOffice to
the rescue!

> To me, GNU/Linux represents that mythical "even playing field" that so
> many claim to want - at least where computers are concerned.  I can't
> claim the computer has made me rich, but I can say I have learned a
> great deal.  I'm actually beginning to offer half-way sound assistance
> to others these days.  Give me a little more time, and I might even
> qualify for a real job - assuming they aren't all in India.

Don't get me started............:(

> Point is free software empowers us.  Anyone who desires to take
> advantage of it can do so.  If you want to get out of the slums, and
> your'e willing to put your nose to the grindstone, you can take
> advantage of free software.

Quite!

Fred

--
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the