[CS-FSLUG] Digital recording

groundhog3000 groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 14:44:52 CST 2004

Interesting ...

> Our church is wanting to digitally record services to MP3 files. It's
> a  bit of a pain to copy tapes, since we don't have a duplicator.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations on inexpensive equipment? Web sites
> I  might look at for information or products?
>
> I did a quick Google and found lots of recorders with mixer
> functions.  We already have a mixer. I'm also looking at building a PC
> or laptop  that can record sound. But was hoping I might find a
> pre-built product.
>
> Thanks, in advance.

There are many "wired for sound" PC's out there (i.e. Alienware).  Mac's
are also good for recording right out of the box.
So, this is what you do now (if I understand):
1) Record services using the stage mic's and instrument pick-ups
2) Run all channels through the board and into a tape deck input for
recording
3) Copy tapes by hand w/o a duplicator

What you want to change in this cycle, if I understand, is the last part:
2) Run alll channels through board into a PC for recording
3) Save stereo mixdown to PC
4) Save digitized recording to .mp3 for website and to .wav for CD's

If this is the case, then a regular PC can perform these functions.
However, if this is right, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.