[CS-FSLUG] Tech Jargon In Plain English

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 18:23:31 CST 2004

Can anyone think of some simple ways to explain to non-techy folks
some of the advantages of the GNU OS?  For instance, I've made mention
of the fact that GNU/Linux uses all the RAM it can, thus reducing the
need to store data on the hard drive.  Hopefully, that's not too
"techy".

But how to explain the advantages of the hybrid kernel?  You guys
might know other technical advantages that I haven't thought of yet,
as well.  This is going into my outreach material, so we gotta keep it
fairly simple.

My outreach strategy is to provide a simplistic explanation on the
main web pages, and offer links to more technical details for those
who wish to learn more.  I've got a page each for:
<>home (just a starting point)
<>Philosophy (formerly "morality", I'll discuss the background about GNU/FSF)
<>Software (Now they know the philosophy, here's the software that fits it)
<>Technology (Here I'll tell 'em why the philosophy is not the only
reason to migrate)
<>Support (How to get support - what's out there - eliminate some FUD
about this subject)
<>Links (Essential Links to Christian free software sites)
<>About Us (Contact info)

Here's an example of how the outrech material should work:
On the Technology page, we'll tell them GNU/Linux offers technological
advantages.  We'll describe some of those in as plain English as we
can.  Take my comment about the use of RAM (might need to say "system
memory" or something).  We'll include a link that takes them to a more
in depth discussion - probably a page with reference anchors.

Also, what would you guys think of the name "Gnu Grace" as opposed to
OSGrace?  Just curious.  I've also thought of ChristSource, and
X[tian]-Source (following the line of thought with our discussion of
X-Mas).  It would be good to settle this issue before I get too much
further.  It's just some ideas that have popped into my head - may not
even be worth spending much time on.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist