[CS-FSLUG] United Church ministers want to unionize

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon Nov 8 21:45:13 CST 2004

Hi Ed,
> Most of my ministry has been to the poorest. As with my childhood days,
> if someone came into the neighborhood wearing a suit, he was up to no
> good. The only people who really hurt us dressed quite well. My calling
> to the oddballs and weirdos would be frankly hindered by prosperity. My
> best work has been with people whose houses would be condemned if the
> wrong people saw them. I've brought home fleas from several places.
> Jesus rejoiced that the poor would have the Gospel brought to them. He
> warned one who wanted to follow Him that it could mean being homeless.

	I'll tell you, Ed, you always amaze me with your dedication.

> No man can tell me God did not call me to live in poverty, just as
> surely as no man has the right to tell me I'm not called of God. It's
> not that I haven't had a great income at times; I've given most of it
> away at one time or another. I continue to do so. That's the leading of
> the Holy Spirit and His Word. Can't find that without a bunch of
> references? Read some more.

	I'd agree.

> Wealth is no sin, just a tool; so is poverty. The Prosperity Gospel is
> one of the great heresies of our time.

	Most definitely. It perverts the Bible, encourages people to commit to
Christ purely for monetary gain and then fall away disillusioned when
nothing happens. I found a good parody of it a few years ago that
demonstrated its errors in light of Jesus and the Apostles... but I
can't recall where that was anymore.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |