[CS-FSLUG] United Church ministers want to unionize

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon Nov 8 17:59:58 CST 2004

> The call of God...Life of Poverty?
> In Ecclesiastes 9:16 the Bible says the poor man's wisdom is despised,
> and his words are not heard. Poverty is definetly not included in the
> call of God. Men in their desire to do right can be misled by
> religious tradition. The Gospel can't be taken beyond our four walls
> without the means to get it there, and if you accept poverty as part
> of the call that gets rather contradictory to your purpose.

	Not necessarily. Jesus sent the disciples out without basically
anything.

	Of course, accepting absolute poverty probably isn't wise -- after
all, you don't want to starve to death, then you can do anything
helpful at all. But, I suspect almost no one can go into a legitimate
ministry and *expect* to make a fortune at it (paying back seminary
bills alone is probably a worthy goal for awhile).

	Of course, some will make it off big time -- take Rick Warren. But,
those are few and far between. And ones that do so and aren't corrupted
by the money are even fewer. Mr. Warren is giving back all of his
salary from the past 20 years plus 90% of what he has earned off his
books... but, it just doesn't usually happen that way. :-)

	That's not me saying that pastors should *not* be paid well, but
facing the reality that they are not.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)