[CS-FSLUG] Distinguishing Between "Free" and "Open Source"

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Mon Nov 8 06:09:48 CST 2004

On Monday, 8. Novemberta 2004 09:32, Don Parris wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how would you guys (and gals) distinguish
> between the terms "free" and "open source".  The two terms are
> similar, but there's enough of a difference to require us to say
> "FOSS" instead of "OSS".  Indeed, Stallman has some concerns about the
> OSS movement.
>
> But I'm wondering how y'all would explain the difference to someone
> who asked you, especially someone who may not have a solid grasp of
> either term.
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Maybe this way:

"Free"-software's source code is available and it is distributed under licence
that allows source code's examination, modification and re-distribution.
"Open source"-software is software which source code can be examined, but
modification and re-distribution is more limited or not allowed at all.

Blessings,
Jukka