[CS-FSLUG] Laptop

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 22:20:10 CST 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:11:06 -0500, Christopher Rose <kf6snj at lycos.com> wrote:
> Laptop is a Toshiba WinBook XP with an AMD-X5-133SDZ chip. Speed=100MHz. Hard Disk is 533MB. USB=NO. Modem=2400bps. Serial Ports=2. Parallel Port=Yes. PS2 Port=Yes (tried using my tower's mouse on it when Grey Cat was still installed. Grey Cat did not like my scroll wheel).
>
> Hope these specs help. I think that the ram is about 8MB (possibly 12MB, not sure). Thank you for your time.
>
> Pax,
>
> Christopher

Ug, good luck.  Did the mouse function at all (i.e. did just the
scroll wheel not work) or did X have a fit.  I wouldn't even know what
distro to point you to with the limited resources other than
slackware, which I think is still too large.  I'm not familiar with
any of the small distos, but a quick search on google lists quite a
few, but it looks like quite a few are floppy based.    If grey cat
works for what you need it to, I'd just pick up a plain ps2 mouse
without a scroll wheel.  Maybe someone else on the list has more
experience with the smaller distros on limited hardware.  You might
even look into treating it as an embedded system, and looking at that
side of things, and treat the hard drive like an eprom (but with
storage) or a flash drive.  Like I said before, Good Luck!

Brad