[CS-FSLUG] Laptop

Christopher Rose kf6snj at lycos.com
Sun Nov 7 21:20:42 CST 2004

Distribution Help Please!!!

I recently tried to install Basic Linux 3 on my laptop. Problem is that to install anything onto my laptop's hard drive I have to remove the drive from the computer and hook it up to another computer (usually I use my wife's machine as it is easier to open than mine). Unfortunately I can not get it to work. I have tried pretty much everything that has been suggested to me. I am contemplating putting Grey Cat Linux back onto the laptop, though I must confess that I do not really care for this idea as I do not like the idea of having a v/fat filesystem on my laptop. Also, I want to have something that boots automatically into Linux and preferably without using loadlin.exe as it forces me to use a v/fat filesystem. Also, given that the floppy drive on my laptop does not work, I want to try and install what I need onto the hard drive before I put it in the laptop (I do not have an ethernet card for the laptop and seriously doubt that I can obtain one that will work, not to mention that DCHP protocol is not support by Grey Cat).

I have tried Damn Small Linux and Feather Linux on my laptop but they will not work. Nor will Sam linux or anything else I have tried. Does anyone have any suggestions before I decide to do the stupid and reformat my laptop to a v/fat filesystem, install dos 6.0 and grey cat 3?

Pax,

Christopher