[CS-FSLUG] Re: Christiansource Digest, Vol 9, Issue 12

monfieth monfieth at rushmore.com
Fri Nov 5 22:25:47 CST 2004

> > On Friday 05 November 2004 07:57, Frank Bax wrote:
> > > VANCOUVER - Some United Church ministers in Ontario and B.C. are
> > > trying to unionize, saying they want to improve their poor
> > > working conditions.
> >
> > Great. One more step toward making churches just like corporations.
> > I surrendered to the ministry *expecting* to work excess hours and
> > starve for it.
> >
> > I understand the gripe they have with the upper hierarchy. I should
> > think there's a better way to handle it, because unionizing almost
> > guarantees one more batch of bricks in the wall separating "clergy"
> > and "laity" later.
>
> And I didn't even get paid at all for my ministry.  Guess that makes
> me a slave to Christ.  This is appalling.  I don't get paid at all.
> And everyone wants me to perform my ministry for free.  I always get
> offered the "volunteer" ministry slots.  Not that there's anything
> wrong with that, but many other ministers get paid for the same kinds
> of positions.  I frequently feel that many do want to muzzle the ox
> while he threshes - at least this one.
>
> I'm not complaining here.  I'm simply pointing out that despite my
> frustrating experiences I cannot imagine organizing a union.  I
> generally stand for what I believe in, but as Ed pointed out,
> ministers should recognize that the ministry is not an occupation,
> but a calling.
>
> --
> DC Parris GNU Evangelist
> http://matheteuo.org/
> gnumathetes at gmail.com
> Free software is like God's love -
> you can share it with anyone anywhere anytime!

Whatever you are doing do it unto the Lord and in His strength not your
own. I agree with Francis Schaeffer, if you are in the Lords will He
will make provision for His workers.  There have been many who want to
do the Lords work their way and in their time not His.  He will provide
what you need not always what you want. Much of the Lords work is not
high profile or glamerous.  I have found my car with flking paint
bringsme closer to the people I know here than the one with nice paint
and well waxed I used to have.
Blessings Lee
From a Linux machine