[CS-FSLUG] Mandrake hardware support

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun May 30 15:15:49 CDT 2004

On May 30, 2004 2:00 pm, listmail at rotundus.com wrote:
> Quoting "N. Thompson" <n.thomp at sasktel.net>:
> > Mandrake Club, I need an RPM for the NVidia drivers until I can order a
> > boxed set of Mandrake Linux.
>
> Why not just join the club then instead of waiting for a boxed set?
>
> David

The download edition always seem to have something wrong with them and its
always something so obvious that it couldn't have been missed while in
cooker. For example the problem with the mount system in Mandrake 9.2, in 9.1
among other things there was the problem with the gimp in which the canvas
wouldn't display properly or would distort and in earlier versions the
problems were worse.

Currently in 10.0 I've found the file associations to be messed up, anything
that could be a text file gets opened with Qt-Designer (anyone else have this
problem?) even file associations that haven't been set up but have non-binary
data (.cfg for example) get opened with Qt-Designer.

I think Mandrake may be leaving or even introducing bugs in the download
editions in order to entice people to buy a boxed set whether they are part
of the Mandrake club or not, I'd personally rather just pay for a club
membership because its cheaper but if their download edition is bugged up as
well I will gladly go back to SUSE Linux which is my other favourite
distribution.

BTW. Does the Mandrake club download edition have advertisements in it during
the installation process? What about payed links in the system after its been
installed?