[CS-FSLUG] Migrating to Mandrake?

Christopher l Rose kf6snj at lycos.com
Thu May 27 23:32:17 CDT 2004

First of all, my sincerest apologies to anyone that I may have offended in recent weeks. I have had a lot of stress in my life as of the last few weeks. For this, I am sorry. My job is taking a serious toll on my health and my attitude. I fear that I may be in desperate need of a vacation, which I doubt I will be able to get for some time to come yet. Any rate, time for me to shift gears and get to the primary topic:

I am contemplating the formatting of a 10.5 GB hard disk to setup and test Mandrake 8.2 (it's all I have available to me outside of Red Hat 8-my current OS) on it. Now then, my question is as follows, is there a safe way for me to migrate my personal files from one OS to another without having to rely upon multiple disks and altering file formats? I ask for some of my files are abw (abiword) and others are win files (all text files, regardless). Any thoughts? Please note that I do not possess a cd-burner so I can not download the latest distribution of mandrake or any other distro.

Oh, and as a personal aside: My son, Jeremiah (age 2) said "I love Jesus" without prompting about a week and a half ago and the other night while heading home from the store started to recite the Lord's prayer on his own. I am just plain floored by these things.

In Christ,

Christopher