[CS-FSLUG] Back to Mandrake

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed May 26 17:03:07 CDT 2004

On May 26, 2004 1:09 pm, listmail at rotundus.com wrote:
> Quoting "N. Thompson" <n.thomp at sasktel.net>:
> > Mandrake tries to make the Mandrake club its main source or revenue
> > though, that means preferential treatment to people who would rather pay
> > for a subscription allowing them to download their distribution rather
> > then buying a boxed set.
>
> Well, it's not too surprising that there's rather high latency involved in
> mailing a box versus downloading.

What keeps me from buying a boxed set of Mandrake 10.0 is that I will not get
access to the Mandrake club for more then a month and once that month is over
I will no longer have access to the RPM's freely available to club members.
If I could get the NVidia driver RPM's on a CD with basic club membership
then I would consider paying for that, otherwise I would rather buy a boxed
set of whatever distribution I find worth the purchase.

[SNIP]

> > > Which one? Sun, Blackdown, etc...
> >
> > Sun, the only company with up to date (Java 1.4) Java compilers and
> > interpreters.
>
> Neither Blackdown nor IBM's JDKs are particularly far behind.  Do you
> really need the very bleeding edge?

Yes :-)
Actually all I need is Java 1.4 because it has a preference system not unlike
the Windows regestry (in the way the api works anyway), it makes writing
programs that keep settings much easier.