[CS-FSLUG] Back to Mandrake

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed May 26 08:44:10 CDT 2004

On May 26, 2004 12:23 am, Chris Brault wrote:
> Okay,
>
> > - I am not a member of the Mandrake club and would
> > rather buy a boxed set.
>
> Fine here. Both SUSE and Mandrake offer those.

Mandrake tries to make the Mandrake club its main source or revenue though,
that means preferential treatment to people who would rather pay for a
subscription allowing them to download their distribution rather then buying
a boxed set.

If I could find out whats no that CD 4 that club members get, I'd probably
decide to pay for a Mandrake club membership.

> > - I have an NVidia GeForce FX card and would like
> > drivers for it.
>
> I wish you luck with accereration on that card. I have
> the same card and it took some time to find an RPM for
> Fedora with the drivers. The 2.6 Kernel makes a real
> difference though in performance. I am not aware of
> any distro that compiles and adds support, although I
> am sure that they are out there.
>
> Here is the official driver page.
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
>
> This site has links to actual drivers, joy!
> http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/02/191238&mode=thread

I heard that the 4th CD that Mandrake club members get for free along with the
download edition has NVidia drivers, can someone confirm that for me?

> > - I want to have Java support, preferrably even the
> > J2SDK (software developers kit)
>
> Which one? Sun, Blackdown, etc...

Sun, the only company with up to date (Java 1.4) Java compilers and
interpreters.

> > - I want good multimedia support if possible, that
> > include Macromedia flash player.
>
> They have an apt repository for these now. Someone
> even made a flash animation maker (looks like the real
> thing) for Linux.

I've got mplayer, mplayer-GUI and mplayerplugin  thanks to PLF, however I do
not want to add them as a permanent software source because their packages
sometimes make undesirable changes to my system.

> > - Third party package sources such as the Penguin
> > liberation front should be excluded from the
> > comparison as last time I had them added as a source
> >
> > of RPM's it messed up all my packages and left me
> > with a really unstable system.
> > I found out that some cooker RPM's make it in there
> > so unless I'm only getting specific packages from
> > them I will not use them at all.
>
> Mandrake does have a much better selection in that
> area.

I don't understand, how does having a urpmi repository full of great packages
but requiring unwanted "updates" for some of those packages qualify as better
selection. SUSE comes with everything I need short of proper multimedia
support (ie: media players) (and maybe NVidia drivers, I'm a little confused
as to whether they still include drivers for those or not).