[CS-FSLUG] Installation - was [anyone know when?]

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sun May 23 18:00:23 CDT 2004

> It's a 600 Mhz P4 I am talking about. OSX 10.3 is
> sluggish compared to the 1Ghz ones at the store and as
> compared to the X86 machines. Of course, with all that
> eye candy, if figures.

	Freudian slip? ---> "It is way ahead of anything Windows turned
out in terms of looks. However, it is slow, even on a
G4, it just isn't speedy." ;-)

	Yeah, and PearPC is brand new too. Plus they are doing something that
wasn't even thought possible (getting a RISC PPC to be emulated on a
x86). Considering how hard of time Bochs has emulating an x86-on-x86,
it's quite amazing. :-)

	On top of that, of course, PearPC - afaik - doesn't emulate AltiVec,
so you get a big performance hit there too.

> We have a 333Mhz iMac here too, as well as an old
> 33Mhz Performa. Both still work.

	Sounds like me... my other Apple (beside the PowerMac and iMac) is an
old PowerBook 140 (20 Mhz, I think) that I bought at a flea market a
few years back. It still works and it only cost me $30.

> Indeed, ditch YUM! Yum is yucky! They could integrate
> a more easily managed version of synaptic (i.e. placed
> into URPMI style catagories), that would be good.

	Yup!

>> Whatcha using to edit DV with?
>
> I use Kino.

	I need to check into that. :-)

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |