[CS-FSLUG] 5 button mouse

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Fri May 21 11:14:46 CDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 09:46:27 -0400
"David M." <dave at edificationweb.com> wrote:

> Anyone know if a 5 button mouse will work under mandrake? The mouse
> has 2 extra buttons on the side of it that when using Internet
> Explorer act as the back and forward buttons.
>
> also my keyboard has some extra function keys: "internet" (opens
> browser window) E-Mail, and "search" (opens the dialog to find files
> on your computer) and volume up and down and mute button, Is it
> possible to get these extra buttons to work under linux?
>
> David M.

I'm not sure about 5 buttons but I stumbled across some
instructions at http://www.linuxbrit.net/tips/#mbuttons describing how
to use all of an MS Intellimouse Explorer's buttons:

"How to get X to use all the Intellimouse Explorer's buttons

This is relatively easy to do. You must be using XFree 4.x for this to
work though, as this mouse technically has 7 buttons, and 3.x only
supports up to 5.

The mouse section in your XF86Config should look like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol"        "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option      "Device"          "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "6 7"
        Option      "Buttons"         "7"
EndSection

You have to map the mousewheel out of the way as shown, as otherwise the
extra buttons aren't detected. Now we can swap stuff back though. Either
add this line to your .xinitrc: xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5" or
add this line to your ~/.Xmodmap: pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5.

That's it. The side buttons will be 6 and 7 now, and mousewheel
scrolling will work as ever. You can bind the buttons to do whatever you
like in your favorite windowmanager and applications."

There is also an app (can't remember the name at the moment) that enable
multi-media keys on keyboards -- will look for it and let you
know.......

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com