[CS-FSLUG] Email postings & leaving

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Tue May 18 09:06:50 CDT 2004

Tim, did you change the way you send your email to the list between
Sunday and Monday?  Sunday your posts were like before with the plain
text attachment, but this one is "normal" inline rather than an
attachment.

On the subject of leaving, I think I would have to chime in that I
didn't see anything to be offended with in the context of Christopher
leaving.  I know several people have asked and he has not responded with
the reasons he feels offended enough to require at least 12 people to
beg him to stay in order to stay (especially since on any given day,
there are probably only about 6 different people posting).  I'm with the
others, as well, in that I don't want to see people (Christopher
included) leave the list, but, without knowing any of the reasons, I
can't ask him to stay or concur with him that it might be better for him
if he leaves.

With posting such a high number of responses in order to stay and
without posting the reasons for leaving, it seems (I know he clarified
that it wasn't meant to be) to be manipulative.

The decision needs to be made by him, but whether he stays or goes, I
hope that it is on good terms.

One more comment to agree with the "essentials/non-essentials" Tim
mentioned.  The Ausberg Confession (from Christopher's site) recognizes
that there are such differences of opinion on certain things:

Nevertheless, very many traditions are kept on our part, which conduce
to good order in the Church, as the Order of Lessons in the Mass and the
chief holy-days. But, at the same time, men are warned that such
observances do not justify before God, and that in such things it should
not be made sin if they be omitted without offense. Such liberty in
human rites was not unknown to the Fathers. ... It was not the mind of
the Apostles to enact rules concerning holy-days, but to preach
godliness and a holy life [, to teach faith and love].

In light of this I am confused by Christopher's insistence of 12 people
to have him stay.  If he is leaving because of differences of something
he believes "essential" why would he come back for 12 people's
(apostates') requests that he stay?  If it is a "non-essential" why
would he need as many as 12 to stay?  I'm confused and hope that
Christopher can enlighten us as to his real reasons.

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 21:29, Timothy R.Butler wrote:
> Hello Christopher,
> > Just to be clear. This is a faith issue with me. I am, as I have
> > stated before, a CONFESSIONAL LUTHERAN. I just posted the ENTIRE
> > contents of the Augsburg Confession on my web page. This, along with
> > the creeds and some of the other links, will give a good formal
> > overview of what I believe.
> [...]
> > http://kf6snj.tripod.com/confession.html
>

> 	I don't understand why this is a faith issue, perhaps you can explain.
> Personally, I believe Chrysostom said on the issue of doctrine: "In
> essentials, unity. In non-essentials, charity.  In all things, Jesus
> Christ." This goes with the CS statement of faith: we are to keep the
> bonds of peace.

[snip]