[CS-FSLUG] Goodbye, I resign.

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon May 17 21:29:44 CDT 2004

Hello Christopher,
> Just to be clear. This is a faith issue with me. I am, as I have
> stated before, a CONFESSIONAL LUTHERAN. I just posted the ENTIRE
> contents of the Augsburg Confession on my web page. This, along with
> the creeds and some of the other links, will give a good formal
> overview of what I believe.
[...]
> http://kf6snj.tripod.com/confession.html

	I don't understand why this is a faith issue, perhaps you can explain.
Personally, I believe Chrysostom said on the issue of doctrine: "In
essentials, unity. In non-essentials, charity.  In all things, Jesus
Christ." This goes with the CS statement of faith: we are to keep the
bonds of peace.

	As you can see from the statement of faith, every member of this list
has affirmed the historical, Biblical tenets of Christianity. Thus we
are all brothers and sisters in Christ, confessing a Biblical set of
beliefs. That is, I might not agree with you 100% on Lutheran doctrine
(I'm more Presbyterian or Baptist in leanings) that isn't what is
important. What is important is that we agree that Jesus Christ was
born of a virgin, lived, suffered, died for our sins, was physically
resurrected, appeared to the apostles (last of which being Paul) and
ascended into heaven. You and I might disagree on the theological
particulars of communion or whether there is a rapture or not -- but
that stuff isn't the stuff that saves us. It is the grace that is
freely given to us by, and only comes through, the death and
resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

> For me to remain with the listserv, I will need not less than 12
> people urging me to stay, otherwise, I feel it best that I leave.

	I'd have to agree with Ron and Greg on this one. I'm not keen on
persuading people to stay or go. I don't *want* to see anyone go, but
honestly, I don't even understand why you're talking about leaving, so
urging to stay is another matter.

	All you've said is that you are leaving because you are a confessional
Lutheran? We have other Lutherans here, in fact, one of our founders
(who left due to time constraints) is an LCMS member. I have family
that is LCMS as well (for that matter, my church's heritage includes
some strong Lutheran influence), so I guess I'm a bit puzzled at the
problem. If you feel this list is some how is weakening to your faith
or some such though, that's certainly not a good thing.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |