[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Megahurtz Race

@ndrew andrew at dothedrew.net
Fri May 14 09:44:17 CDT 2004

Guess I'll chime in, too.

> What was the megahertz speed of your first computer?

Umm.. MY first computer was, I believe, a 386 (not sure on the clock speed).
My family's first computer was... Well, the first one I remember was the
Commodore. But I'm pretty sure we had some before that.

> What is the speed of your present computer?

The one I'm on right now is an Athlon XP 1700+, advertised clock speed of
1.46 GHz. I also have an Athlon 900MHz box, a Pentium III 450MHz box, a dual
Pentium II 350MHz box, a Athlon K6-233 laptop, and a Pentium 90MHz box. Oh,
and I think there's a 486 33DX laptop in the closet, too. :-D

> Have you ever owned a system with a "performance rating"
> instead of a MHz rating?

I'm assuming you're talking about Athlon's XP rating scheme? (i.e. a 1700+
is supposed to perform like a Pentium 1.7 GHz, or something to that effect,
while it's only a 1.4 GHz chip.)

> Do you check your system speed to see if it really is running
> at the advertised speed?

Not really. If things run, then I'm pretty happy. :-)

--
@ndrew
andrew at dothedrew.net
http://www.dothedrew.net