[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Megahurtz Race

Greg Slade gslade at studio.cbbs.org
Wed May 12 09:17:35 CDT 2004

>> 266 Mhz G3 Mac "all in one."

>	Are you running OS X or Classic?

Classic: MacOS 9.22. (This baby is supposed to be able to run OS/X, but
my understanding is that Claris eMailer won't run under X, and I refuse
to give it up, because it's the best E-mail client I've ever used.)

>	I hadn't either, previously. I only checked when I read that
> a bunch of PowerBook users were doing so and where upset
> because their systems were running .00000005 MHz below the
> spec.

And rightly so! The *nerve* of Apple, shipping grossly underpowered
machines like that!

>	If you're curious, your Mac will tell you the speed with this
> command:

>	% sysctl hw.cpufrequency

I don't be thinking so. That looks like an OS/X kind of command to me.

God bless,

Greg

Greg Slade                              www.associate.com/camsoc/greg/
gslade at studio.cbbs.org                       www.associate.com/camsoc/
An optimist sees a glass as half full. A pessimist sees it as half
empty. An engineer sees it as twice as large as it needs to be.