[CS-FSLUG] HP laptop

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon May 10 13:18:57 CDT 2004

> 	Here's what I don't have working:
> DVD player with xine

	You need to download the DMCA prohibited DeCSS codec (although, IIRC,
one court ruled against prohibiting it, so it is sort of a legal gray
area).

	TurboLinux supposedly is going to bundle a version of  CyberLink
PowerDVD with TurboLinux 10F, but I can't seem to find a stand alone
version of it. Lindows licenses a codec for Xine, I think.

> 3D support for ATI RS200 4337 (radeon)

	You need to go to ATI's site and download their driver.

> ir port with my cell phone

	Dunno about this one.

> 802.11 wireless card

	It depends on the card. Some have good support, others now have a
wrapper that wraps around the Windows driver... Intel is planning to
offer Free Software support for its wireless nics.

> AMBIT Microsystem Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset

	Not sure about that one either. Maybe check alsa-project.org?

> Hewlett-Packard Company Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]

	You'll want to check lspci and see if its a Connexant or Lucent
chipset. Then you can install the proper drivers.

> Storm Technoligies PageScan USB portable scanner

	Not sure about this one, but it may be supported. You can find out at
the SANE web site.

> Unable to write to XP partition

	You can't reliably write to it if it is NTFS (there is an experimental
driver in the kernel, but it comes with the warning that you may very
likely wipe out your data). The best thing to do is reinstall Windows XP
using a FAT32 format instead.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |