[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Mice

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Tue May 4 08:15:48 CDT 2004

Hmm... Dell's Quitekey keyboard is my favorite mouse, no annoying
clicking sound so people <strike>can't hear when I'm not paying
attention to them</strike> aren't distracted on the phone and it has a
nice simple black profile. It doesn't have any useless extra keys and is
nice and small. Desk space is precious. Long live the CLI!

...My ideal mouse, and I'm no mouse connoisseur, would be the Logitech
TrackMan with a scroll wheel in place of the middle button, the optical
tracking instead of mechanical and with USB instead of serial
connections. And one more thing, improved locking in of the ball. This
trackball had a tendency to seize up if you tightened the right that
held the ball in to tightly, easily fixed, but annoying. (Plus a $5
price tag, I'm pretty "thrifty".)

I used to love my TrackMan. It had the ball right under my thumb where
it belonged. Since it was a trackball I didn't have to move the whole
thing around and so had more room to clutter my desk. You also couldn't
beat the way it fit my hand. I was in my development stages as I learned
to love this mouse and I think my hands developed around that trackball.
I ended up giving it up for a scroll wheel mouse. I just pulled one of
the various mice off our shelf. It's a PS/2 intellimouse from Microsoft
with a gateway symbol on it. I've found it very difficult to live
without a scroll wheel anymore. And please don't put buttons all over
the stupid thing. Three is just right, not five or even 12.

You know you're a geek when you can wax nostalgic about peripherals. You
might be a geek if you look at your peripherals and find Dell, Gateway
and Microsoft logos on them and your computer is home built. :-)

JSR/