[CS-FSLUG] remote samba authentication

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Fri Jun 25 07:16:07 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 22:47, john-thomas richards wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 08:46:31AM -0400, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> > > i need to connect to a samba server (on debian) via a windows xp laptop
> > > configured with roaming profiles.  i can connect fine when on the same
> > > lan.  what is the best way to connect to the domain via the internet?
> > > bear in mind this is more than just mapping drives; it is domain
> > > authentication.
> >
> > What kind of devices are between you and the domain? firewalls? VPN
> > concentrators?
> >
> > If a VPN is possible, what type of VPN is it?
>
> there is a firewall between the samba server and the internet.  it can
> configured for port forwarding as needed.
>
> i can run pptpd on the server.

Sounds like a NAT/Port forwarding solution, but I don't know if that
would even work. Windows solves this problem by just allowing ID info to
be stored and used locally while not on the network. It might be that
this needs to be setup, but it's always worked automatically for me.

Alternately, I think setting up a VPN would be a decent solution. There
are several free programs to do that. I was looking at OpenVPN awhile
back and it appeared to fit the bill.

JSR/