[CS-FSLUG] OpenOffice and networked printer

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Thu Jun 10 09:07:42 CDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:18:11 -0400
Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> At 04:30 AM 6/10/04, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
> >Libranet 2.8 (Debian based distro) with openoffice 1.1.1 from sid and
> >a networked HP Deskjet 640C using cups.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to set up a networked printer in OpenOffice.org
> >1.1.1?
> >I did try the 'Printer Administration' tool but it's beyond me.
> >I do have the printer recognized and working with OpenOffice on the
> >'local' box (the one with the printer attached) but can't get it
> >working with OpenOffice on the other machines connected to our small
> >lan (all other apps can print to the remote printer).
> >
> >I did write and ask the folks at OpenOffice.org and their only ray of
> >hope to Joe average is that in release 2.0 OpenOffice will work with
> >'cups'.
> >
> >So, any geeks know how to set up networked printers in OpenOffice?
>

> So they broke something in OOo since 1.0.2??  I am running OOo1.0.2 on
>
> Mandrake 9.1 - there are two network printers defined in CUPS.  When a
>
> printer is added to cups its shows up automatically in OOo
> applications - no need to use OOo PrintAdmin at all.
>
> All you should need to do is set the printer as "shared" on the pc
> that has it connected locally, then find/configure it with CUPS on the
> other machine.
>
> Frank

All the other machines can print fine to the printer using cups -- just
not OOo -- it doesn't even see the printer.

I'll keep trying ..........

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com