[CS-FSLUG] Shell Scripting - one liners

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 30 14:14:27 CDT 2004

At 02:47 PM 7/30/04, Josiah Ritchie wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 14:12, Jukka Y wrote:
> > On Friday 30 July 2004 21:05, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> > >
> > > That sounds like fun! Maybe we could recommend this sort of question to
> > > Tim for his Question of Week posts sometime. :-)
> > >
> > > JSR/
> > >
> > Please...no. That type of questions would certainly make me out of the
> game.
> > My level is still more in coffee-taste questions...:-D
>
>lol, I've been surprised with how quickly shell scripting can be picked
>up once you are comfortable on the cli.

Can you do arithmetic in a shell one-liner?  or something like x = (a < b)
? 1 : 0;  You'll need thes kind of operators to solve the calendar puzzle I
had in mind - more details of which have come back to me since I mentioned
it.  If a language could be agreed on, I'll submit it for consideration -
but unlike usual QOTW, top honours goes to the submission with least number
of characters.

Frank