[CS-FSLUG] Why I've NEVER LIKED nor will use Asus!!

Leon Brooks xtiansrc at leon.brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jul 29 23:43:42 CDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:05, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> they worked a far sight better on our network than the ne2000 ones we
> replaced.

Now there's an achievement.</sarcasm> (-:

You notice the difference when the load goes up. If you're pushing 8 or
9 megabytes a second out of that little RJ-45, your CPU useage will be
*much* higher for an AUD$5 RTL-8139C than for an AUD$12 Tulip, NatSemi,
ViaRhine or similar, which will in turn be a little higher than an
AUD$45 EtherExpress Pro100.

If you're driving a dozen thin clients or backing up data by the tonne
over a LAN, having a real network card makes an amazing difference. If
it's plugged into an ADSL router instead, or driving a printer over a
crossover cable, you'll probably not notice.

If you're prepared to spend circa $AUD1500 on _good_ PCI64 network
cards, you can in some circumstances do a network-to-network copy with
essentially zero CPU involvement, and you can trivially redline your
gigabit LAN and hard disks at the same time without smashing your CPU
into the floor under the load of interrupts and housekeeping.

Cheers; Leon

--
"For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone," says the Lord God.
"Turn, then, and live" -- Ezekiel 18:32, NRSV