[CS-FSLUG] Sending E-mail's via Network

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Tue Jul 27 12:50:42 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 01:12 pm, David M. wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 July 2004 12:12 pm, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah I have an SMTP server on it. This is what I use for sending my
> > > regular mail such as this one.
> >
> > Do you have 2 NICs and only have SMTP on the outside one? Does the SMTP
> > server know where buddy is? Have you tried localhost instead of buddy?
> > I'm basically just trying to follow the path all the way through and
> > figure out where the connection drops off. If you can confirm it into
> > the SMTP server, you then have to confirm it out. If not, it's lost in
> > there somewhere and it's time to figure out where the log is for it.
>
> I only have 1 nic. I did figure out one thing I was doing wrong, I was
> using this e-mail address to send the mail to my local network which is
> located somewhere else and not on my network and it was trying to send the
> mail through that server that resides in florida.
>
> So I created a new identity for sending mail on the network here locally so
> the mail will not try to go thru the server in florida and should go
> straight to my mailbox here on this computer.
>
> Also when I try to retreive mail, I noticed an error: "Transmission failed:
> Could not lock /var/spool/mail/dmcglone"
>
> Whats that mean?

Ok now I figured out that I have to send mail to dmcglone at localhost for it to
work correctly, and I cannot send mail to dmclgone at buddy. Why is this so? can
I change it so it will send mail to dmcglone at buddy instead of
dmcglone at localhost?

Here's an example header of what worked:

hello from dmcglone's local account

From:
"David M." <dmcglone at buddy.Buddy>

To: