[CS-FSLUG] Suspicious SUSE issues

Mark Dalton mwd at cray.com
Thu Jul 22 00:54:36 CDT 2004

You probably had the SuSE 9.1 pro version that had the original drivers and
the person did not come out until a month or two later.

I had various problems with SuSE 9.1 pro (CD version) including:
    XFS was severly broken on the release (they did provide a patched CD
           to update the the broken drivers)
    The x86_64 was only on DVD, and did not provide a network install
version
           or a CD until at least months later. (I had to purchase a DVD
player)
    Problems with a notebook upgrade from SuSE 9.0 pro to SuSE 9.1 pro
           scanning, CD burning did not work until I fixed permissions
problems.
           (everything had worked with 9.0)
    Video problems with the Nvidia.

If you use YaST2 and do a on-line update and get the latest XFree86 and
Nvidia
drivers, then everything worked very well.. I did hand tune the
monitor/display
setup since it got messed up with the upgrade from SuSE 9.0 to 9.1.

But now my notebook happily boots, (rarely Windows XP, SuSE 9.1, RedHat
ES WS 3.0, Debian)
I have Fedora Core 2 on some also.

I did not have USB issues though..

On 32bit platforms I have installed SuSE 9.1 pro from CD, DVD, and network.

I have also noticed a bug in SuSEs distribution as a NFS client in SuSE
8.2, 9.0 and 9.1.
It mostly seems to happen with the NFS server is Irix.
    cd /Some_Irix_NFS_directory
    mkdir -p x/y/z
    touch x/x x/y/y x/y/z/z
    rm -rf x
(Normally it should do a recursive remove without any errors.  It works
on RedHat since 6.2.
  But it fails on SuSE in 8.2, 9.0 and 9.1)
    mwd at bwraid:~> cd /cray/iss/a5/mwd
    mwd at bwraid:/cray/iss/a5/mwd> mkdir -p x/y/z
    mwd at bwraid:/cray/iss/a5/mwd> touch x/x x/y/y x/y/z/z
    mwd at bwraid:/cray/iss/a5/mwd> rm -rf x
    rm: reading directory `x/y/z': Unknown error 525
    rm: reading directory `x/y': Unknown error 525
    rm: reading directory `x': Unknown error 525

Mark