[CS-FSLUG] backup strategies

Stephen McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Tue Jul 20 23:47:08 CDT 2004

Frank Bax wrote:
> I'm looking for comments on Linux system I'm planning to put together -
> actually two systems in two cities.  The only purpose of these systems
> is to replace NT40 systems that only provided file shares.
> Disk 1:
>     - two Linux partitions - one for current install - one for upgrades
>     - swap partition
>     - data partition to hold all shares (samba).
> Disk 2:
>     - backup/copy of Disk1
> Disk 3:
>     - archive backup of Disk2 - I've written a script that keeps
> versions of files as they change.  This disk would have most recent 9
> (for example) versions of any file on Disk2.
> Disk 4:
>     - offsite backup - copy of remote Disk3 (using rsync).
>
> Two sites would be setup.  Disk4 of each system would have copy of Disk3
> for the other system.  I already do Disk2&3 on a Linux system for backup
> of NT4 system.

One quick question would be why Disk 2 is backup/copy rather than
software RAID.  Another thing would be that you probably should try to
get disks from different batches so they won't all have the same failure
characteristics (e.g. several failing at the same time).  Another
question would be why you have ruled out tape or at least semi-frequent
CD/DVD backups.

btw, Would you mind sharing your version archive script?  Thanks

sjm