[CS-FSLUG] Hollywood sues to stop Family movies

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Jul 20 22:09:20 CDT 2004

 Hollywood leaders have joined together in a major lawsuit
  to stop Family-Safe Viewing of movies on DVD! They
  want to keep you from using technology that allows you to
  skip offensive scenes while watching movies in the privacy
  of your home.

Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Robert Redford and others
have joined the lawsuit, along with all the leading studios
such as MGM, Warner Brothers, Disney, Sony, Dreamworks,
Universal and Paramount.

+ + Background

An innovative company called ClearPlay has developed technology
that allows you, the parent, to set your DVD player to
automatically skip offensive scenes in movies. ClearPlay
does not edit the DVD you buy or rent -- it simply allows
you to program what types of scenes you want to skip.

It puts parents in control and opens up hundreds of movies
to family-safe viewing!

+ + Hollywood says "No" and sues to stop ClearPlay

Well, Hollywood doesn’t want you to be able to set your DVD
player to skip scenes that you may determine are inappropriate
for your family. Apparently, Hollywood knows best regarding
what you as a parent should allow your children to watch!

And with an army of lawyers, these Hollywood bigwigs will
likely destroy ClearPlay and other groups who want to give
parents control over what their family sees.

+ + Family Movie Act of 2004 Secures Parents' Rights

Right now in Congress, a new bill is being considered that
would safeguard your right to skip over offensive movie
scenes in the privacy of your home.

It's called the Family Movie Act (H.R. 4586) and we need your
help this week to move this bill through the House of
Representatives.

The Family Movie Act already passed a House subcommittee
with an 11-5 vote and is now in the House Judiciary Committee.

Click here to read our detailed Backgrounder on the
Family Movie Act:

http://www.grassfire.org/39/backgrounder.asp

+ + Two Action Items

#1 -- Sign Grassfire's Broadcast Decency petition. Already,
212,375 citizens have signed, but we want to reach
300,000 in the next two weeks. We are working on a delivery
to Congress as this issue comes to a vote. Please sign:

http://www.grassfire.org/39/petition.asp?RID=1369673

#2 -- Call your Representative in Congress AND members of the
House Judiciary Committee and tell them you support the
"Family Movie Act of 2004" (HR 4586)

Rep. Houghton: 202-225-3161

For information on Judiciary Committee members,
including phone, fax and e-mail:

http://www.grassfire.net/r.asp?u=362

We want to move the Family Movie Act through the House
Judiciary Committee and to a floor vote in the next two
weeks, but we need your help.

Thanks in advance!

Grassfire.org Alliance

P.S. We will be delivering our Broadcast Decency petitions
to Congress in support of the Family Movie Act. Right now,
we have 212,375 signers. Please sign our petition
and help us reach 300,000 signers in the next two weeks!

+   +  +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +  +  +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +
(Note: Please do not "reply" directly to this e-mail message. This
e-mail address is not designed to receive your personal messages.
To contact Grassfire.org with comments, questions or to change
your status, see link at the end.)
+   +  +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +  +  +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +

+ + Visit our Home Page for the latest updates:

http://www.grassfire.org

+ + Comments? Questions?

http://www.grassfire.org/email.asp?ind=10

+ + + + +
Grassfire.org Alliance is a non-profit 501(c)4 issues advocacy
organization dedicated to equipping our 1.5 million-strong
network of grassroots conservatives with the tools that give you a
real impact on the key issues of our day. Gifts to Grassfire.org
are not tax deductible.

--
"Ballmer is no more designed for the art of persuasion
than the Abrams tank is for delivering meals on wheels."