[CS-FSLUG] Creating a Black list of Christian Spammers

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Tue Jul 20 15:07:02 CDT 2004

I have a suggestion for a name:

CS-SDL : ChristianSource Spammers Disciplinary List

(With apologies to Sam Lantinga)

Eduardo

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 14:11, Timothy R.Butler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> 	I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but I've found a really
troubling
> occurrence  over the past year. Christians using spam as a medium for
> advertising. And, I'm not talking about variations of the Nigerian
> scam.
>
> 	For instance, I've been signed up for several "Christian" newsletters
> that appear to be genuine, and even one from a well known Christian
> publisher, without my consent. One sends me three copies of each issue
> of the newsletter.
>
> 	I could just unsubscribe, but I think that -- in the long run, anyway
> -- fails to accomplish anything. These organizations are still using
> very disturbing means to get out their message. Thus I got an idea: a
> blacklist of Christian Spammers. I'll create a list of all of the
> organizations who seem to be doing this and place them on them on the
> web. The page will encourage Christians to avoid these organizations,
> or at least their e-mail services, until such time as they "repent" of
> this. I will then contact them and provide them with a simple way to
be
> removed: delete any and all subscribers they have added through means
> other than legitimate opt-in sign ups.
>
> 	Obviously, they could lie and fail to delete all of the subscribers,
> but there is a simple way to test this: I will contact them using an
> address other than one that they presently have. Thus, the only way
> they can remove me (and thus convince me that they have "done the
right
> thing") is to remove all unsolicited subscribers (well, there are
other
> means, but at least I won't make it easy).
>
> 	The reason I'm posting this, is that I'm hoping to get some more
> reports of Christian spammers. Especially ones who repeatedly send
spam
> out -- the kind that perhaps spam you every week or every day (as some
> do to me). It is my hope that when they are publicly confronted about
> this, they will relent (my attempts at private correspondence have
> failed to get the desired results).
>
> 	There are two reasons I see for doing this: (1) I just really despise
> spam. I get so much of it, my mailbox would be useless if not for
> client side spam filtering and SpamAssassin on the server. (2) I don't
> want non-Christians to be getting spammed by Christian organizations
> and thus start grouping Christians with the less tasteful groups that
> USUALLY spam. I'm sure some mean well by this, but its wrong all the
> same, and I think it would be good to put a stop to it before it gets
> any worse.
>
> 	So, what do you say? Would you send those spammers' organizational
web
> sites, e-mail addresses, etc. my way?
>
> 	-Tim

> Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
> [...]

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 Ah, Love! could thou and I with Fate conspire
 To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire,
   Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
 Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam