[CS-FSLUG] Creating a Black list of Christian Spammers

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue Jul 20 13:11:58 CDT 2004

Hi everyone,
	I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but I've found a really troubling
occurrence  over the past year. Christians using spam as a medium for
advertising. And, I'm not talking about variations of the Nigerian
scam.

	For instance, I've been signed up for several "Christian" newsletters
that appear to be genuine, and even one from a well known Christian
publisher, without my consent. One sends me three copies of each issue
of the newsletter.

	I could just unsubscribe, but I think that -- in the long run, anyway
-- fails to accomplish anything. These organizations are still using
very disturbing means to get out their message. Thus I got an idea: a
blacklist of Christian Spammers. I'll create a list of all of the
organizations who seem to be doing this and place them on them on the
web. The page will encourage Christians to avoid these organizations,
or at least their e-mail services, until such time as they "repent" of
this. I will then contact them and provide them with a simple way to be
removed: delete any and all subscribers they have added through means
other than legitimate opt-in sign ups.

	Obviously, they could lie and fail to delete all of the subscribers,
but there is a simple way to test this: I will contact them using an
address other than one that they presently have. Thus, the only way
they can remove me (and thus convince me that they have "done the right
thing") is to remove all unsolicited subscribers (well, there are other
means, but at least I won't make it easy).

	The reason I'm posting this, is that I'm hoping to get some more
reports of Christian spammers. Especially ones who repeatedly send spam
out -- the kind that perhaps spam you every week or every day (as some
do to me). It is my hope that when they are publicly confronted about
this, they will relent (my attempts at private correspondence have
failed to get the desired results).

	There are two reasons I see for doing this: (1) I just really despise
spam. I get so much of it, my mailbox would be useless if not for
client side spam filtering and SpamAssassin on the server. (2) I don't
want non-Christians to be getting spammed by Christian organizations
and thus start grouping Christians with the less tasteful groups that
USUALLY spam. I'm sure some mean well by this, but its wrong all the
same, and I think it would be good to put a stop to it before it gets
any worse.

	So, what do you say? Would you send those spammers' organizational web
sites, e-mail addresses, etc. my way?

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |