[CS-FSLUG] I'm dangerous

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Tue Jul 20 11:40:19 CDT 2004

Brian Derr wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:23:10AM -0400, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>
>>I find that most of my problems are errors that originated between the
>>walls the keyboard, a.k.a I-d-10-t errors :-) I find they become more
>>prevalent the more you make, but you also tend to get further before
>>they show up. :-)
>
> Also known as a PEBKAC error.  (Problem exists between keyboard and
> chair.)

Good ones, folks. As a post-mortem, at least part of the problem was a
failing IDE ribbon cable. Problem is, FreeBSD seemed quite sensitive to
it, while SuSE 8.2 tended to try harder working around it. When a reboot
failed a couple of times to detect the drive, I finally realized there
was something in the hardware. Replacing the cable has solved it, and I
have come to the conclusion I am not a BSD type person.

This became apparent when I responded to what I felt was a call from God
to do things a little differently. FreeBSD is great fun to play with,
but it becomes itself a very absorbing project, while little else gets
done. Now that there is a possibility of doing actual work, FreeBSD is
too great a burden for a desktop system.

--
Ed Hurst