[CS-FSLUG] Canada's Yukon allows gays to marry

Ralph De Witt ralphdewitt at charter.net
Sat Jul 17 10:59:08 CDT 2004

Canada's Yukon allows gays to marry
      Jen Christensen, PlanetOut Network
      Thursday, July 15, 2004 / 04:48 PM

SUMMARY: The Supreme Court in the Canada's Yukon Territory ruled that the
common-law definition of marriage limited to a man and a woman is "wrong and
discriminatory."

Another Canadian jurisdiction said 'yes' on Wednesday to marriage for same-sex
couples. The Supreme Court in the Yukon Territory ruled that the common-law
definition of marriage limited to a man and a woman is, according to Judge
Peter MacIntyre, "wrong and discriminatory."

Judge MacIntyre ordered the Yukon government to change the definition of
marriage to "the voluntary union for life of two persons, to the exclusion of
all others."

The judge read his decision to a packed courtroom. The couple contesting the
old law, Stephen Dunbar and Rob Edge, have been fighting to marry since
January, when they first applied for the license at the vital statistics
office.

When that office turned the couple down, Dunbar and Edge appealed to the Yukon
Human Rights Commission, and in June took their case to court. Through the
attorney general, the federal government had recommended that the couple go
ahead with the church wedding, but get the marriage license retroactively
once Parliament passed a federal marriage amendment. Legal analysts said that
process could have taken up to two years. Justice MacIntyre ruled that it was
"legally unacceptable" to delay the license. The couple said getting a
license retroactively didn't feel right.

"It would have felt like a hollow marriage," Dunbar said in a press conference
after court. He told the press he and his partner will be legally married
this Saturday.

"Our wedding this Saturday will be one of the most important days of our
lives, symbolic of the commitment we feel for each other and wish to
demonstrate to our friends, our family and our community," Rob Edge said.
"It's an odd feeling to be explaining that to others. Hopefully someday
nobody will question why same-sex couples want to marry."

British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and now the Yukon all allow gay couples to
marry. The federal government has asked the Supreme Court of Canada for an
opinion on the proposed federal legislation to legalize marriage for gay
couples across Canada. In this past election, Prime Minister Paul Martin
pledged his support for the federal legislation.

Advocates for marriage equality, like Laurie Aaron, the director of advocacy
for Egale Canada, said this latest ruling should put the rest of Canada on
notice and that marriage for all of Canada's gay couples should be legal.

"This ruling sends a message that governments across the country must now
accept the Charter right of same-sex couples to marry in a civil ceremony,"
said Arron. "It is simply unacceptable to maintain the fiction that capacity
to marry, which is federal law, is different from one province or territory
to the next."
- --
	Yours,
	Ralph.
It said Use Windows XP or better, so I installed PCLinuxOS NV-P7a
Register Linux User 168814 ICQ #49993234
AIM & Yahoo ralphfdewitt Jabber ralphdewitt
GPG Public Key available at http://www.keyserver.net
Key fingerprint = DE4D 6225 A558 A2B9 8DEC 7E94 BB6F 435C 0DE2 085D 03E7
Kernel version 2.4.22-32tex
Current Linux uptime: 12 days 4 hours 49 minutes.