[CS-FSLUG] Federal Marriage Amendment Struck Down for Today

Clawman groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 21:41:28 CDT 2004

Here is my understanding,

>Here's my view of this issue.  The Defense of Marriage Act of 1996 has
>already defined marriage at the federal level as between a man and a
>woman.  However, if a court may rule at a whim that such a law (federal
>or state) is unconstitutional, that can only be remedied by a
>constitutional amendment.  Some would say that government should not
>interfere with marriage, but here the line between the "sacred" and the
>"secular" is blurred.  Marriage is foundational to society itself, and a
>redefinition of marriage will necessarily redefine the traditional
>family structure.  If we decide that it does not matter who raises a
>child, where will we end up?

For some on this list, it is obviously not understood that the
government has been
in the marriage business for quite some time.  In order to get legally
married there
are things that you must do.  These thing include registering and
receiving government
approval (a license).  There are restrictions on marriage already too,
like no close
relatives and no polygamy.  These are mainly biblically based, and they
keep our
society from turning into an Arab one (if anyone has spent some time in
a country
under Islamic law, they'll know what I mean).  These laws were designed
by God and
interpreted by man to protect the family and for the betterment and
preservation of
society (man has never been perfect at passing on God's laws).

The constitutional amendment was intended to protect society from
itself, but if you
remove all biblical grounds, then it has no legs to stand on. They'll
just say, "Why not?
Don't they have the same rights as you?"  I have to say that God says
and history proves
that a society that accepts evil ways will become evil itself, turn on
God and His ways
and be blinded by God as they plummet into everlasting destruction (and
you all know
that this is absolutely true).

The real battle isn't letting the government decide what marriage is,
since the government
has already defined that and has for thousands of years (Rome, Greece,
Egypt, etc). The real
question is are we going to let people "Get used to it" and "Accept it"
so that we fall
like Rome, becoming a willing party to Satan.  Society will either be
gently lead to God, will
become sick on their own evil ways and start a revolution or will face
God's wrath and turn
to Him in despair.

Sometimes the only way to stop people from walking over the cliff is to
build a fence.
Just a thought.